Notarizing Your Police Clearance Certificate
By Tiffany V.
Published on 09/11/2023
Do you need an official police clearance certificate for immigration, a work visa, or other purposes?
If the FBI doesn't issue it, you'll likely need to get it notarized before you can further certify or apostille it.
What is a Police Clearance Certificate?
A police clearance certificate is an official document showing you don't have a criminal record. It serves as proof for immigration, employment, schools, and other situations that require background record checks.
Why Get a Police Clearance Notarized?
Before obtaining further certifications from the Secretary of State's office, individuals must notarize most U.S. police clearances. This is because:
- It certifies the police clearance is an original document, not forged or copied.
- It verifies the signature of the official who issued the certificate.
- It meets the requirements for apostilles or certifications to use the certificate officially.
The United States Secretary of State generally refuses to endorse or apostille a police clearance unless a notary first notarizes it. FBI officials, who have already registered with the Secretary of State's office, do not need to obtain clearances.
What does the notarization process involve?
When obtaining a police clearance, the notarization does not involve the actual content. The notary certifies the signature on a sworn statement about the certificate.
This affidavit confirms the police clearance is valid and issued to the correct person. By notarizing this signature, the notary certifies the entire document is authentic.
Requirements for Clearance Notarization
To get a police clearance notarized:
- Use the original certificate, not a photocopy.
- Your ID must match the name on the certificate.
- A notary public must witness your signature on the affidavit and seal/sign it.
- There's usually a small notary fee.
- The Secretary of State can then further certify the notarized version.
Use NotaryLive For Your Notarization
At NotaryLive, our notaries can quickly notarize your police clearance certificate. With online notarization, we easily get documents notarized from wherever, whenever.
Our notaries are ready when you need us.
- Upload Your Document
- Verify Your Identity
- Connect With A Notary
- Download Your Notarized Document
Interested in Learning More About Notarizing Documents Online? Here are Some Other Helpful Articles:
Updated Date: 12/05/2023